Homes adaptations and Housing Needs Reports
ERGO OTS Ltd has been involved with hundreds of successful adaptations over the years. These range from the correct and safe placement of grab rails for a few pounds to multi-thousand pound extensions.
Where it is not ‘reasonable and practicable’ to undertake housing adaptations we can produce a Housing Needs Report to enable a suitable property to be identified.
Recent adaptations our occupational therapists have specified and overseen include:
- An en suite extension for a young lady providing a level access shower with a specialist shower trolley and an overhead ceiling track hoist allowing her to enjoy Aquatherapy in her spa pool
- A semi-permanent external ramp to a grade 2 listed cottage in Devon for a wheelchair user awaiting major adaptations
- A level access shower for an elderly housing association tenant in place of her inaccessible bath.
- A curved stairlift for a couple with mobility difficulties
- A through floor lift for an ambulant user with epilepsy and learning difficulties who had previously fallen from a stairlift
- A fully accessible kitchen for an elderly gentleman with a form of muscular dystrophy who is now independent in a manual wheelchair and cares for his wife with Alzheimer’s Disease
- A report for a Judicial Review for a solicitor whose client was a young mother with significant disabilities that were not being adequately met in her current accommodation
- A lounge/therapy room adaptation with partially concealed ceiling track hoist to allow the user to be lifted safely and securely from her wheelchair to the floor for physiotherapy treatment
- A step lift to give access to an indoor pool and hoist to lift the disabled person into the water
We can produce a comprehensive report on Housing Needs for people with a disability, clients include:
- A housing association to enable them to find a suitable property for a family with a disabled father
- A solicitor who was advising his disabled client on divorce proceedings
- A solicitor who needed a housing needs report for a Judicial Review
- A charity to enable them to purchase and adapt a property for an ex-service man with a brain tumour
- A family of 4 including a mother with spina bifida who uses a manual wheelchair and her 11-year-old son who is part time wheelchair user
- We have also prepared reports for Shelter, Age UK, Church of England, SSAFA, RAF Benevolent Fund and Case Managers.
ERGO OTS works with architects, surveyors, housing officers, grants officers and planning authorities. We have experience of adaptations in areas of outstanding natural beauty and with listed buildings. Keeping a home a home and not making it a hospital is important to many of our clients. Where funds permit we are able to recommend stylish as well as practical and functional adaptations to our client’s homes. Here is an example of just one company’s stylish products which are included in The Shard, London. Click here to see Hewi’s Comfort to Care Range
In England, Wales and Northern Ireland Disabled Facilities Grants may be available to you. These are means tested by the local council and are up to £30,000 (£36,000 in Wales) of agreed works. Grant monies cannot be paid retrospectively. For more information on these please see Disabled Facilities Grant Information.
We subscribe to and use the Idapt online planning tool for most of our adaptations. For details click Plan to see a gallery of designs
We also regularly use their free Smart Phone Idapt Ramp and Step Calculator.