Services to Housing Associations
Over recent years ERGO OTS has been engaged by Housing Associations in the south west of England to provide quick and independent assessments of disabled tenants and to make recommendations on equipment and or adaptations they require. Sometimes it was to ascertain future suitable housing for ‘property matching’.
This is particularly in geographical locations where there is a long waiting list for an assessment from Adult Community Care. We can usually see a tenant within 7-10 days of receiving the referral and provide a detailed report of the difficulties and recommendations within 7-10 days.
Other Services: We have also been asked to project manage some cases where there are complex needs and multi-agency involvement to ensure a timely and ‘joined up service’ or to facilitate a complex return home. Some Housing Associations have asked us to provide training for their staff. Snagging and signing-off adaptations/refurbishments before handover to the tenant.
Examples of recommendations include:
- Referrals to Adult Community Care for equipment provided to the tenant and housing association free of charge instead of or as well as an adaptation e.g. battery-operated bath lift. Ongoing maintenance is also assured with this provision.
- Marking correct position for stair and grab rails to be fitted by the housing association
- Improving access e.g. ramps with the correct gradients and specification or step lifts where ramps not practicable
- Level access showers / wet rooms with appropriately placed equipment and services for that tenant’s disability – Idapt Plans can be provided with the detailed layout of the proposed adaptation.
- Kitchen adaptations for wheelchair users including electric height adjustable work surfaces, cupboards, services and appliances
- Widening of doorways for wheelchair users
- Assessing for and specifying stair lifts and through floor lifts
- Referrals for Disabled Facilities Grant or Low Cost Adaptation funding via district council
- Housing Needs Reports when adaptations are not ‘reasonable and practicable’ and re-housing is required.
We are part of the national Housing Association Forum for Occupational Therapists (HAFFOT) which meets quarterly to share best practice across housing associations and we are also a member of The Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section for Housing.
We use Idapt Planning Service for our adaptations, to see examples of plans click HERE